When it comes to eating a balanced and nutritious filled diet, the home-cooked food is what comes in my mind at first. The logic is pretty straight-forward: Because I have a full control on the quantity of each ingredient. And I love controlling (No matter if its the diet or my husband!)
And when the home-cooking strikes in your mind, remember a mouthful of this melting in the mouth Mughlai Recipe, the Pakistani-Style Roast Beef Fillets with Onions and Mint.
Traditionally called as ‘Pyaaz-Podeena Pasanday’. (I know it’s crazily heavy for a non-native to pronounce), this is one of my favorite summer dinner meals, not just because of its nutritional value and cooking time, but also because of its refreshing flavor, the coolness of mint and a pinch of sweetness of Onions.
‘Pasanday‘ means ‘Favourite‘ in Urdu, and refers to the prime cut of meat traditionally cut within.
Let’s cook this recipe right here:
Pot Roast Beef Fillets with Onions and Mint
A Fresh and Healthy Mughlai Recipe perfect for a Homely Dinner
Cuisine Type: Mughlai
Meat choice: Beef/Lamb
Equipment: A deep 26 cm pot
- For Boiling Beef
- 1 kg Beef Fillets flattened into strips
- 1 tsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste For Frying
- 2 Large Size Tomatoes Diced in pieces
- 4 Large Size Onions
- 2 Cups of Fresh Mint Leaves For Garnishing
- 1/2 cup of fresh Coriander Leaves
- 2 tsp of Thick Cut Green Chilli
- First, thoroughly wash Beef Stripes with clean water.
- Place the pot on medium to high flame and add Olive Oil and Beef Stripes.
- Add Ginger Paste and Garlic Paste and roast the beef on Medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add all the other spices in any order: Salt, Chilli Powder, Chilli Flakes, Coriander Powder, Cumin Seeds, Garam Masala, Black pepper, Cumin Powder.
- Stir all the spices and beef well with a wooden spoon until aroma begins to rise.
- Pour 2 1/2 cups of Water in the pot and cover on low flame for another 40 minutes or until the beef tenders.
- Once the water is dried, add tomatoes and stir for another 5 minutes on high flame
- Add Onions and Mint and stir for another 2 minutes.
- For garnishing, add Coriander leaves and Green Chilli on top and leave the pot covered for 2 minute on low flame.
- Serve the Tender Beef Pasanda with Steamed Rice and Soft Naan Bread for a homely weeknight.
- Add nutrition with Salad and squeeze Lemon on top for a Zesty evening!
To prepare Gravy
While the Meat is cooking, cut Tomatoes, Onions and Mint, Coriander Leaves and Green Chilli. Keep checking the Beef until all the water evaporates.
I hope you try this recipe and let me know your thoughts in the comments below.